Segment is a popular customer data platform that lets you move user data between hundreds of marketing and analytics solutions.
With our Segment integration you can push survey responses to your Segment account, as well as import user traits from Segment to Refiner.
When identifying your users, make sure that both solutions – Refiner as well as Segment – are using the same User IDs.
If your user IDs don’t match up, neither Refiner nor Segment will be able to match and merge you user data with survey response data.
Push survey responses to your Segment account
The main use-case for our Segment integration is to push survey responses from Refiner to your Segment account in real-time.
Once pushed to Segment, you can leverage your sruvey responses in many different ways. To give you inspiration, here are some of them:
- Attach NPS scores to customer profiles in Segment
- Enrich CRM records with survey responses collected with Refiner
- Add survey responses automatically to a Google Spreadsheet
What we send to Segment
Survey responses are sent from Refiner to Segment the moment a user completes a survey.
All data sent from Refiner to Segment contains the user ID you used when identifying your users.
If the Refiner user ID matches a user ID in your Segment account, survey responses will get attached to the matching profile. A new user profile will be created in Segment if no user with that ID can be found.
From a technical point of view, this integration option is triggering the following API calls in Segment:
- An ‘identify’ call containing the latest survey response data for this user
- A ‘group’ call in case you are sending in ‘account’ data when you identify your users
- A ‘track’ event call containing the latest survey responses
How to set up this integration
To set up this integration, follow these steps:
- Log in to your Segment dashboard and click on “Add Source”.
- Then, search for “Refiner” in the integration catalog and select it.
- Segment will provide you a “Write Key” which you need to copy & paste to your Refiner account.
- In your Refiner dashboard, go to “Integrations > Segment”, paste your Segment Write Key and click Save.
That’s it! From this moment on, all newly collected survey responses will automatically flow to your Segment account.
Send user data from Segment to Refiner (optional)
Besides pushing survey data back to your Segment account, you can also send user data from Segment to Refiner. This data can then be used to create user segments in Refiner for precise targeting.
To set up this integration, choose Refiner as a “Destination” in your Segment account.
Segment will then prompt you for your Refine API key. You can find this API key in you Refiner dashboard under Integrations > Segment.
Once you entered your Refiner API key and activated your new Destination, all new user data in Segment should also show up in your Refiner account.
Refiner implements the identify, group and track methods of Segment. We don’t process any “page view” events and will send a “not supported” alert back to Segment.
If you have any questions about this integration, please don’t hesitate to reach out to our support team.