Refiner comes equipped with a powerful user segmentation engine that allows you to group your users based on their traits, behaviour and survey responses. User segments can be used in many different ways and sit at the heart of the Refiner solution.
Our segmentation engines allow you to group users based on different data points; notably, you can use:
- Your user data which we received when you identified the user with our client library.
- Survey responses given by a user.
- Auto-generated fields like “first seen” or “last survey response”.
- Past survey interactions like completing or dismissing a survey.
How to use segments in Refiner
User segments play an important role in Refiner and you’ll see them in many different places. Segments allow you to
- Create target audiences for upcoming surveys. You can use segments to survey a specific group of users.
- Better analyze your survey data. Segments allow you to filter survey responses in your Reporting Dashboard and look at your data from different angles.
- Show only specific answers in your Feedback Hub. This is helpful when you only want to read through responses from a certain group of people, for example your Power Users or NPS Promoters
- Trigger an integration when a user enters a segment
- Send a notification to your team when a user enters a segment
The ability to create user segments based on traits and tracked events opens up many interesting use-cases when targeting your users.
You can for example create segments based on subscription data and then compare how different customer groups responded to a survey.
Or you can survey users who performed (or did not perform) a certain action within your application.
Create a new user segment
Creating a user segment in Refiner is straightforward. Follow the steps below to create your first user segment.
First, navigate to the “User Segments” section in your Refiner project. In the top right corner of the page, click on “Create segment”
You can now add as many filter as needed to define your segment. Refiner supports filter groups which allow you to create deep user segments based on various traits.
Once you save your new segment, Refiner will go through all user profiles in your project and check for each of them whether or not they match your filters. The same happens when you update an existing segment. Depending on the size of your user base, this process can take up to a couple of minutes.
When are segment affiliations updated?
Our segmentation engine checks if a user belongs to a certain segment, whenever a significant event is happening.
Events that lead to checking if a user matches a segment include:
- They logged in to your app and we received an “indentifyUser” call
- A user saw, completed or dismissed a survey
- We tracked a new event for a user
- You created or updated a segment in the Refiner dashboard
When you create or update a segment in your Refiner dashboard, we’ll go through the entire list of users and check for each of them individually if they match your segment. Depending on the size of your user list, it can take up to 20 minutes to check all users.
When a user enters a segment, we’ll trigger integrations (e.g. Slack alerts, Webhooks, etc.) that have the segment listed as a trigger event. However, we won’t trigger integrations when you just created or updated a segment and we bulk check all your users.